Thursday, March 11, 2010

Mustering up the "balls" to try something new...

Since moving to San Francisco, I have fully embraced the multitude of various ethnic foods here at my finger tips. I've expanded on my college take-out diet of pizza and wings and turned now to Thai or Indian as my generic go-to for some late night cravings. I've been bold in my orders and tried to sample the most daring dish on the menu each time I sat down in a Japanese, Mexican or other ethnic restaurant; however, Sunday, I took my adventurous taste buds domestic at Magnolia's in the Haight.

Magnolia's is truly an American establishment: tons of beer and meat. Hidden between the variety of sausages and safe sides of rice and beans was a rare, American gem: Rocky Mountain Oysters. Prior to Sunday, I'd only heard of it's existence, but never actually seem this dish appear on a menu. Since it was the first time I'd seen it, I was committed to ordering it. I told my friend with a grin that I'd be ordering Rocky Mountain Oysters for my entree to which he replied, "how strange they have seafood here!" Now, I'm not one that aspires to deceive others, but his naivety just begged to be addressed. "Yes, you'll have to try some," I replied, well knowing that he was in for a surprise.

My "oysters" were served deep-fried and coated with bacon bits. Their appearance was inconspicuous to their true origin and aside from missing shells, my friend hadn't an inkling that these oysters hailed from no ocean but rather the testicles of a poor, castrated mountain goat. I'm not afraid to try anything once, so when the plate was placed in front of me, I dove right in. To my surprise, they were delicious! (Although few things deep-fried aren't.) The taste was slightly acidic, but the texture was comparable to pork. I cut a piece and passed the fork over to my unknowing friend who happily swallowed the small morsel. After the piece was safely digested, I asked him from what ocean in the Rocky mountains he supposed these oysters were harvested. The wheels started to turn and finally I conceded in telling him what he had actually eaten. He was less than pleased, but was fair in admitting that they were quite tasty!

I've now checked off another unconventional dish from my list of things to try and am happy to report: I'd eat it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment